Roasted Squash and Zucchini is the perfect quick side dish for summer when produce is abundant. This vibrant recipe is loaded with plenty of spices and dried herbs that make the tender oven roasted veggies really flavorful.
Zucchinis are one of my favorite veggies to get creative with in the kitchen. While this recipe highlights zucchinis in their most natural sliced and seasoned form, I also love recipes like Vegan Zucchini Fritters and Chocolate Zucchini Muffins that use the veggie in different (and delicious) ways!
Roasted squash and zucchini
When you’re in the need for something easy to make, freshly flavored, and can pair with SO many different dishes, Roasted Squash and Zucchini is the recipe to utilize! The veggies are the stars of the show and are only enhanced with seasonings and olive oil to best enhance their naturally delicious flavors.
Ingredients needed (with substitutions)
- Yellow Squash – Also known as summer squash.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil spray also works.
- Dried Herbs – Oregano and basil combine to make the best herbaceous flavor! You can swap one of them out for dried parsley if preferred.
- Seasonings – Red chili flakes, garlic powder, salt, and pepper are all you need to simply season your veggies. Add more or less red chili flakes depending on how spicy you’d like the dish to be.
- Parmesan Cheese – It’s optional, but I enjoy a little sprinkle of Violife vegan parmesan on my roasted veggies!
How to roast squash and zucchini in the oven
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Quarter the squash and zucchini (or slice into rounds) and arrange on the pan.
Drizzle or spray with olive oil, then sprinkle all the seasonings on top. Toss everything together right in the pan, then roast in the oven for 15-18 minutes, until lightly golden and cooked.
Sprinkle some parmesan on top after it comes out of the oven and serve!
Air fryer squash and zucchini
You can easily roast squash and zucchini in the air fryer instead. Simply add everything to your air fryer basket, toss to coat, and air fry at 400 degrees for 15-25 minutes, shaking every 10 minutes or so to ensure even cooking.
Frequently asked questions
- How long will it stay fresh? In an airtight container in the fridge, any leftovers you have will stay fresh for about 2-3 days. Make sure the veggies are fully cooled off prior to storing.
- How do I best reheat roasted squash and zucchini? For the best results, use your oven or air fryer to reheat your roasted vegetables! The microwave will leave you with soggy, sad results.
- What other seasonings can I use? If you want to swap the dried herbs for Italian seasoning, that totally works! You can also toss in onion powder, paprika, or whatever else your heart desires.
More veggie packed side dishes
Prevent your screen from going dark
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Quarter the squash and zucchini into similar size pieces, about 1 inch chunks. If you prefer, you can slice them into rounds instead.
Arrange on the prepared pan. Drizzle with olive oil, or spray with oil to coat.
Sprinkle the oregano, basil, red chili flakes, garlic powder, salt and pepper on the vegetables, then toss right in the pan.
Arrange the zucchini and squash in a single layer, then roast in the oven for 15-18 minutes, until lightly golden and cooked.
Sprinkle on some parmesan, if desired and serve.
Leftover roasted squash and zucchini will keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator in a covered container. Reheat in the oven or air fryer for best results.
May also use 1 1/2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning in place of the oregano, basil and chili flakes, if you have it.
- Air fryer – You can easily make this in the air fryer as well. Place everything in your air fryer basket, toss, then cook at 400 degrees for 15-25 minutes.
Serving: 1of 4 servings, Calories: 49kcal, Carbohydrates: 4g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Sodium: 295mg, Potassium: 268mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 237IU, Vitamin C: 17mg, Calcium: 19mg, Iron: 1mg
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here